Monday

About This Blog

Beauty is my life, my passion. I eat, sleep, breathe and dream it every second of every minute of every hour of every day. I am inspired by many things in the world around me and I have realized that it is truly possible to find beauty in most everything.


As a consummate professional, even now I feel as though I can never know or learn enough. Learning for me is as essential as air in keeping me at the top of my game. Lackluster is not an option; "I cannot" and "I quit" are not part of my vocabulary.

Most people are surprised to find out that I am by veteran standards new at this. I took an unconventional path to this place. Despite the fact that even as far back as elementary school I was quite the beautynista (in sixth grade I got a spanking for trying to hot comb my own hair), I was a late starter I didn’t begin in the industry right out of high school, in fact it would be more than an entire decade after high school before I would get my Aesthetics and makeup artistry education. Nonetheless I didn’t let any of that deter me, in fact I took that “behind the ball” feeling and used it as fuel for my fire, as motivation to work harder.

A lot of folks have been like wow, you're lucky or you make it look so easy! But trust me when I tell you it took a lot of research, long nights and hard work. I knew business (thanks Dad for making me attend college) and I knew I had a "talent" but what I did not know was the Beauty Business. Most times you'll find that after what you know, its all about who you know, and the what and the who are not always easy to find.

There were many many nights when I questioned what on earth I was doing. I felt alone with no help or guidance, as finding a mentor proved to be more difficult than finding a needle in a haystack. Even more disheartening than was that I discovered that a lot of the industry professionals that had ‘made it’ were reluctant to share or pass on any valuable information to the freshman class. Instead of becoming bitter, I made a vow to myself that I would mentor and assist whomever wherever I could.


This blog is just the beginning.


This... is for those of you that are interested in and committed to making this world a better place one Stylista and/or Fashionito at a time.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

Heather B. (BSDiva) said...

I think your blog is absolutely fabulous. What a great resource for working beauty/cosmetology/esthetics professionals! I subscribe in my Google Reader, and I am continually impressed by the great articles you publish. I work with beauty schools, so I am DEFINITELY committed to making the world a more beautiful place one beauty pro at a time! :) Keep up the awesome work - we love, love, love Beauty Schooled!

Aishia SoGlam said...

Wonderful story.....It's amazing to see what we evolve into. I was not so glam years back and it's amazing that how my friends call me and ask me what I think about certain fashion and beauty topics. I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes me!

TracyS said...

This is a fabulous blog:)
Thank you for taking the time out to share your passion. My question for you is this. I have worked on a counter for years and now I'm freelancing for a few different companies, but I'm tired of trying to make there numbers. How do I make the transition to doing editorial makeup...that's where my heart lies.

Sincerely Tracy in Seattle

Beauty Schooled said...

Hi Tracy! The best thing to do is to start photographing your work. Then start looking for other artists in your area to assist on shoots. Have you read Crystal Wright's book? Another good book is Short Cuts by Diane Schmidtke. Best Wishes!

Rashida