Friday

Manicurist Extraordinaire and Minx'r Tracylee


I’ve been in love with beauty and the industry for as long as I can remember but as of lately I’m completely enamored with it. This blog along with Twitter had put me in contact with professional that few would dispute are amongst the industries best, brightest and most dedicated and Tracylee is no exception, dolling out invaluable tips and encouragement Take some time to get to know Tracelee…





BEAUTYSCHOOLED! How long have you been in the industry?

Tracylee: 20 years.

BEAUTYSCHOOLED: When did you know you wanted to become a manicurist?

Tracylee: I started doing my own nails with tip & wraps & fun designs when I was 18 years old, I didn't realize I wanted to do this for a living until around 21 years old, when a neighbor of mine decided she was going to school for nails. My mother came in and told me, and thought that would be something I would be interested in. I thought about it for only a day! I enrolled the next day!

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! Would you say that you have a niche, or is there anything particular that your clients or industry peers would say you're known for

Tracylee: I think I am known for a couple things, My Manicures last longer than most without chipping, I am very thorough, I am a perfectionist, and a clean freak. I also guarantee my work, which isn't too common in the business. I think my niche/specialties are Minx Nails and meticulous manicures. I also try to introduce men to the world of manicures and pedicures once they try it, they become very loyal clients!

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! Minx is all the new rage but Celebs have been getting Minx'd for some time now. How long have you been Minxin’ and what drew you to this cutting edge trend?

Tracylee: I started the beginning of this year, I feel like I've always been minxin', lol. After 20 years doing nails, I still read my trade and fashion magazines from cover to cover, reading every little ad, looking for the next great thing. I saw a small add in my nail magazine for minx, asked for a sample from the company and applied it to my boss. Within 2 hrs after leaving the salon, she was texting me, telling me I had to do Minx in the salon, as she was being bombarded with people wanting to know what it was and where to get it. I called my order in the next day!



BEAUTYSCHOOLED! What’s a typical working day like for you?

Tracylee: My days are never typical and change frequently! When I’m not working with Private Clients or Photo Shoots, I split my time between the celebrity salons of Suite 303 & Damone Roberts NY. Sometimes I work in 3 places in one day!

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! What would you say are the biggest misconceptions about the industry and manicurists specifically?



Tracylee: I think that a lot of people group all manicurists as the same. That is, until they come to me! lol...What I mean by that is, for some reason educating the consumer is not favorably looked upon in this industry. I educate every client that sits in my chair on my procedure, why things happen or don't happen, and nail anatomy, how to maintain their services, and the importance of seeking a well educated and experienced Tech. Most people who have never experienced a proper manicure, pedicure, nail enhancement service, etc., they don't know any different. I love talking about nails to anyone who will listen!!! ha!

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! It seems that every up and coming beauty pro wants to work with celebrities. What advice do you have for someone new who is trying to break into the industry and wanting to work with celebrities?

Tracylee: First and foremost, you must be meticulous & diligent with your craft! It's a long, hard road to get into the freelance arena & working with Celebs. Anyone looking to do so needs the following: networking (this is mandatory), focus and hard work, also you be clean in your person and your kit, and be meticulous with your services, BE ON TIME, go above and beyond the job at hand. Most important...Professionalism!

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! Do you provide any mentoring or training for new manicurists?
Tracylee: I am planning to offer training for new and experienced Techs in 2010, in all phases of nail care. I am frequently helping other techs, so mentoring is gratifying to me. I not doing any mentorships at the time, but will gladly help anyone with some questions they may have. :*)

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! So what’s next for you? Any projects in the works that you can share with the readers?

Tracylee: I have so many projects coming up..Uggh, I overflow my plate!!. I really want to be an Educator, and I am working diligently and meeting with a couple of different companies in L.A. to make that happen. I am doing a fundraiser with Damone Roberts NY & Woman's Day Magazine, to raise money & awareness for Heart Disease, and I have a couple of awesome Fund Raisers coming up, which I will be doing manicures for and working with great wardrobe stylists, hair stylists & makeup artists. I am starting my own blog by the end of this year, and I also have a new business idea that I will be pursuing, but it's a secret for now! Lol

Thank you Tracy can't wait to see what's next for you!

For more information on Tracylee visit her web page and be sure to follow her twitter.

Ciao for now… Class is dismissed!


Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

irocknails said...

And THIS is why Tracylee is my chica!!! Education and cleanliness! Shes the best and you did an amazing job at capturing her!!! LOVED IT!!!

X0X0,
irocknails

ThisThatBeauty said...

Another great interview. TracyLee is the truth! Quote me:)

Anonymous said...

Tracy..awesome interveiw..so proud of you!!!