Sunday

Jessica Kidd - This Week's Rising Star...


I’ve known I wanted to interview this beauty for quite some time, so when I created the Rising Star series she was definitely one of the first artists that I contacted. She's a risk taker, move maker, smart, ambitious, űber talented, kind and gracious… get to know Jessica Kidd


BEAUTYSCHOOLED! How long have you been in the industry?

Jessica Kidd: I have been styling hair professionally for five years. About three years ago, I became more interested in freelance hairstyling for fashion shows, photo shoots, and celebrity hairstyling.

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! When did you know you wanted to become a Hair Stylist?

Jessica Kidd: I've always admired my aunts who were seamstresses and beauticians, and I believe looking at them, is where my love for beauty, fashion, and hair developed. I remember getting a Cabbage Patch kid for Christmas one year. It came with a curling iron. I would practice curling on that. It was then I knew I wanted to go to a trade school for Cosmetology, and that's what I did years later.

BEAUTYSCHOOLED! What inspires your work?

Jessica Kidd: I get much of my inspiration from high fashion runway shows, and celebrities. I'm always looking through magazines to keep abreast of the new trends and styles. Because I have a keen interest in fashion, I'm always looking for new techniques and different styles that are both fashion forward and easy to maintain.




BEAUTYSCHOOLED! Who are some of your favorite Hair Stylists?

Jessica Kidd: I really admire Kimberly Kimble, and her philosophy that healthy hair and great styling CAN coexist. I also admire Ursula, Rihanna's hair stylist and Kahlil, a celebrity hair stylist who’s actually from Baltimore. Because he is from my hometown, he is really an inspiration.


BEAUTYSCHOOLED! What celebrity would you most like to work with?


Jessica Kidd: I would love to work with Rihanna. I love her fearlessness. She helped make it ok to be different when it came to hair in the music industry. Everyone was wearing long, flowing hair, and she came out with a chic bob, shortly after she did the unthinkable, and cut it all off. Now she's even more edgy, with her shaved sides. I love that.


BEAUTYSCHOOLED! What types of projects are you working on now?



Jessica Kidd: I am currently in the process of relocating to Atlanta, so I am hopeful that I will begin new endeavors there.


BEAUTYSCHOOLED! Where do you see yourself in this industry in say 3-5 years?

Jessica Kidd: I have visions of my future and it looks successful and promising. Its so clear at times I can touch it. I look at where I am since graduating from Morgan State in May, and I'm amazed. I always say "What a difference a day makes", and its really true. I think the secret is keeping God first. In the future however, I plan to own a Upscale Salon and Barbershop for men and women. I intend to be a highly sought after celebrity hairstylist. I hope to be a wife and a mother, but most of all I hope that I can be an inspiration to a budding celebrity hairstylist in the future.

There's no doubt you'll be hearing BIG things from Ms. Kidd, be certain to follow her Twitter to see what she's up to next.


Ciao for now... Class is Dismissed!


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jessica is the best stylist, and I'm sad to see her go. However, I know she'll be a hit wherever she is!